Bib Gourmand is an award given to a restaurant by the Michelin Guide each year, designed to highlight “exceptionally good food at moderate prices”. They must offer a menu below a designated price – a price that varies by area. The ‘bib’ (Bibendum) part of the award comes from the nickname given to the Michelin Man!
“Prices and value for money are important, but the Bib Gourmand is about much more; it’s about the ethos and philosophy of a restaurant. The Michelin Inspectors love finding new Bib Gourmands and they’re always hugely popular with our readers.”Rebecca Burr, Director of the Michelin Guide Great Britain and Ireland
This year’s Bib Gourmand awards contain 27 new entrants, making the list 143 Restaurants in total for 2019. Six pubs have been awarded a Bib Gourmand in the 2019 selection.
I can’t find the price specifically listed anywhere for 2019, but last year to be possible to win a Bib Gourmand aware, the price of a full meal (excluding drinks) had to be under £28 (40 euros in the Republic of Ireland).
In this post I’m focusing on the new additions. These are the most interesting restaurants for me to want to try this year. The one’s you’ve probably not heard of, or the new opening, or at least the restaurants where they aren’t fully booked out because they’ve been winning awards year after year! Get those reservations in!!
- Petit Pois, Hackney, Hoxton
- Farang, Islington, Highbury
- Sorella, Lambeth, Clapham Common
- Kudu, Southwark, Peckham
- The Barn, Aughton Lancashire
- Cin Cin, Brighton and Hove Brighton and Hove
- Bell’s Diner & Bar Rooms, Bristol Bristol
- Root, Bristol, Bristol
- Tare, Bristol, Bristol
- The Windmill Chatham Green, Chelmsford, Essex
- Compasses Inn, Crundale, Kent
- Antidote, Ilfracombe, Devon
- Bell Inn, Langford, Oxfordshire
- Charlton Arms, Ludlow, Shropshire
- Route, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear
- The Green, Sherborne, Dorset
- Dog and Gun, Skelton, Cumbria
- Leaping Hare, Stanton, Suffolk
- Crown Inn, Upton, Hampshire
- Bryn Williams at Porth Eirias, Colwyn, Bay Conwy
- Clenaghans, Aghalee, Lisburn and Castlereagh
Republic of Ireland
- Clanbrassil House, Dublin, Dublin
- Tartare, Galway, Galway
- Dillon’s, Timoleague, Cork
- Brownes, Tuam, Galway
You can download the full list from the Michelin Guide list in PDF format.
You can also pre-order the full 2019 Michelin Guide
Michelin, the leading tire company, is dedicated to enhancing its clients’ mobility, sustainably; designing and distributing the most suitable tires, services and solutions for its clients’ needs; providing digital services, maps and guides to help enrich trips and travels and make them unique experiences; and developing high-technology materials that serve the mobility industry.Michelin