Made in Camden, Saturday night dinner with Friends
- Restaurant: Made in Camden
- Cuisine: Modern World? (everything from slow-braised oxtail to hake tempura on menu)
- Location: Camden, d’uh, inside the Roundhouse
- The bill: £40 each (including wine, dessert, cocktails)
- Ambience: trendy, casual, paired down
- Jelly Good Food Rating: 8/10
This is currently Jelly’s local - have been here several times for their incredible brunch but this was a first for dinner.
On a Saturday night, this place got filled up pretty quickly and turned into just the trendy, buzzy eatery you might expect from a recently refurbed Camden venue – music heritage displayed literally everywhere, retro seating, some nice lamps. Crowd somehow managed to stay relatively unpretentious – come here with a group of friends or even take your parents.
Menu is designed to share, so think fusion tapas. Made in Camden recommend 2 or 3 plates per person though some dishes are also available in a larger size. Amongst 5 of us we ordered roughly:
- Endive and sweet potato crumble, gorgonzola, slow-roasted tomato salsa x4
- Calamari x2
- Beef carpaccio
- Beef Onglet with horseradish cream and shallots x3
- Fig pannacotta, port sauce and pistachio honeycomb x2
- Sea Bass with Fennel and lemon mayo x3
- Hazelnut brulee, palmier biscuit, cognac chocolate mousse
Food was imaginative and tasty: the vegetarian sweet potato crumble impressed everyone. The only dish that didn’t rock was one of the onglet portions which was too tough – and the shallots too sweet and the endives too bitter. The Hazelnut brulee and its accompaniments impressed Jelly the most – the cognac was potent but not overpowering.
Jelly also pays respect to Made in Camden for having interesting cocktails, which are good.
Jelly Good Food Bottom Line:
All in all, Made in Camden does justice to its Roundhouse location and its Camden heritage, it is perhaps a little pricey, but that’s because we chose to order a lot of stuff. I think this place is versatile enough to be your go to place for almost any occasion and lunch/brunch prices are normally very reasonable.